The Women and Gender Constituency, along with other women, gender, and human rights advocates, has been actively pushing world leaders to ensure just and equitable climate policies that put respect of people’s rights and the integrity of the planet first, while responding to injustice among and within countries in relation to climate impacts and resilience.
We know the solutions to a more sustainable future already exist – and it is time to showcase them far and wide, and demand change!
Since 2015 and the Paris Agreement, the Gender Just Climate Solutions program aims at showcasing, amplifying and scaling gender-responsive transformative climate initiatives. These locally-driven solutions promote democracy, making gender equality and women’s rights central to just climate action.
All the solutions are displayed in this database, where they can be sorted by date and countries.
You can view and download the last edition of our Gender Just Climate Solutions publication, showcasing the 2019 honorees.
ENGLISH: FRENCH: SPANISH:
We are currently not accepting any applications. The next application process will open in 2021.
The best way to receive updates on the Gender Just Climate Solutions initiative, including announcements of new application periods, join the Women and Gender Constituency’s advocacy list using this form. Your form will be reviewed and your address added to the list within one week.
Selection Criteria for Gender Just Climate Solutions
- Provides equal access to benefits for women, men and youth
- Aims to alleviate and/or does not add additional burden to women’s workload (such as via additional natural resource management or care responsibilities without compensation)
- Empowers women through better mobility/accessibility, enhanced livelihood security, enhanced food security, improved health, access to safe water, etc. (as many benefits as possible)
- Promotes women’s democratic rights and participation by ensuring decision-making by local women, men, women’s groups, cooperatives and communities
- Locally led and/or locally driven (decentralized and appropriate)
- Ensures self-sufficiency & a low input of resources (safe, affordable and sustainable)
- Contributes to climate change mitigation, emissions reduction and/or climate adaptation (the project is sustainable)
- Results can be shared, spread & scaled up (replicable elsewhere, not just benefiting one individual)
- Shows interlinkages to cross-cutting issues, such as (including, but not restricted to) peace-building, natural resources management, food security and/or health, water and sanitation
Sponsors, supporters and partners: